Community Outreach and Media Relations
Age Well Drive Smart
(Note: To view in larger print, click on "VIEW" on your browser, pick "TEXT SIZE" and then click on a larger size)
OUR MISSIONTo reduce motor vehicle collision and pedestrian deaths and injuries experienced by older Californians and to increase seniors' alternate transportation options when driving is no longer an option.
CHP Senior Driver/Mobility Program
View videos to help educate Older Californian Drivers and their families.
The CHP's mission is to provide the highest level of safety, service, and security to the people of California. To that end,
addressing older driver safety/mobility is a high priority for the CHP. Over the past six years, the Department has placed
emphasis on the roadway safety and mobility of California's seniors. A list of these programs and efforts appears below.
- Office of Traffic Safety Grant Programs: Senior Safety Classique (2002); Older Californian, Hispanic and Asian American Traffic Safety (2004); Older Drivers Driving Safer and Longer (2005); and Seniors Safe and Mobile (2006)
- Older Adults and Traffic Safety (OATS) Task Force Participant (2000 - 2002)
- Older Californian Traffic Safety (OCTS) Task Force - Chair, Coordinator, and Participant (2003 - 2009)
- Served as a consultant to a Bay Area public television station to produce a program addressing senior driving issues, The Golden Road (2003)
- CHP Redwood City Area Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) - Driving Wellness Program (Unlock Your Potential) (2004)
- Consultant to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in developing a standardized older driver law enforcement curriculum (2005)
- Developed a partnership with the Department of Motor Vehicles to conduct senior driving seminars held throughout the state (2006)
- The Department is a major stakeholder in the development an implementation of the state's Strategic Highway Safety Plan (response to the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Safety Act: A Legacy for Users [SAFETEA-LU]); older driver safety/mobility is an emphasis area (2006)
- Dissemination of statewide older driver/mobility public awareness presentation package to CHP Areas (2007). To view
the slides, "Stay Vital," click here
(Note: To run the presentation, go the tool bar at the top , click on "Slide Show", and then "View Show". Press the "tab" key or the "enter" key to continue through the slides. Press the "Escape" key to return to the beginning.)
Links to Resources click here
For further information, please contact the CHP COMR at (916) 843-3210.
Funding for Age Well Drive Smart is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency