Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
The California Highway Patrol

School Bus Program

    School Pupil and Farm Labor Transportation Safety Program (aka, School Bus Program)
    The School Bus Program is designed to ensure maximum safety when school pupils or farm workers are transported on California streets and highways. This is done through adherence to and enforcement of the current laws and regulations governing all aspects of the School Bus Program. Persons seeking to obtain a California Special Driver Certificate to operate any of the vehicles (listed below) within the School Bus Program, must meet program qualifications and undergo an intense testing process. To learn more, see the link below titled "How do I apply for a California Special Driver Certificate?"


        Members/Representatives Contact Roster
    - None at this time

    SPTAC Meeting Dates
    A SPTAC meeting is scheduled to be held on Friday, October 10, 2014, in conjunction with the California Association of School Transportation Managers Forum. The meeting will be held at the Harrah's Resort Hotel, 15 Highway 50, Stateline, South Lake Tahoe, NV 89449. The Public Session will begin 2:00 p.m. Please submit agenda items for SPTAC meetings, at least, 30 days prior to the meeting date. Agenda items may be submitted for changes to Title 13, California Code of Regulations only, not changes to the California Vehicle Code. You may submit agenda items to or any of the SPTAC representatives listed in the Members/Representatives Contact Roster link above.

    Future SPTAC Meeting Dates

    Past Agenda Items and Meeting Minutes



        Current Winners

    2013 Winners of the School Bus Driver-of-the-Year Award: Northern Region: Pamela Black, Clovis Unified School District, Clovis, CA
    Southern Region: Ricardo Ramos, Student Transportation of America, Riverside, CA

    Past School Bus Driver-of-the-Year Winners


    How do I apply for a California Special Driver Certificate?
    An individual desiring to obtain a California Special Driver Certificate to operate one of the vehicles listed below should contact the local California Highway Patrol (CHP) office nearest them to speak with the school bus officer or coordinator.
    For a list of CHP offices and telephone numbers, click here.
    There are five categories of certificates for which a person may apply:
    • School bus driver
    • Youth bus driver
    • School pupil activity bus driver
    • General public paratransit vehicle
    • Vehicle for Developmentally Disabled Persons

    CHP 295, Special Certificate Application

    Instructions: Portions of the CHP 295 may be completed prior to an interview with a CHP school bus officer or coordinator, or the form may be completed with the school bus officer or coordinator during the interview process.
    Page 1: The applicant may complete the personal and driver license portions only. The rest of the sections are for CHP use only.
    Page 2: Must be reviewed with the CHP school bus officer or coordinator prior to the applicant signing the document, and must be signed in the presence of the CHP school bus officer or coordinator.
    Page 3: The applicant may complete the Convictions and Residency History portions. This information must be explained and reviewed by the school bus officer or coordinator.
    Page 4: The applicant may complete the Work History portion. This page must be signed and dated in the presence of the CHP school bus officer or coordinator.


    For commercial driver license requirements, visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles office or the DMV website.

    For information regarding California State-Certified Bus Driver Trainer/Instructor training classes, visit the California Department of Education's Web site at or call the California Department of Education, Office of School Transportation at (916) 375-7100.

    For additional information or questions concerning the information contained on this web page,
    contact CHP, Research and Planning Section at (916) 843-3340.

    Return to Programs Homepage