For up-to-date information on current road conditions, choose from a list of CHP Communication Centers from the drop-down menu below left. Refine your search by selecting more options from the Searches menu, or view other helpful information by choosing an option from the Resources menu.

Scroll down the page to view information on what to do in a traffic collision, requesting a collision report, paying traffic fines, and filing traffic complaints.

What to do in a Traffic Crash

  • ​First attend to the medical needs of anyone involved. Call 911 if necessary-but remember that 911 is for emergencies only.

  • When there are no injuries, move your vehicle out of traffic to the nearest place of safety.

  •  Notify the Department of the California Highway Patrol or the police department of the city in which the crash occurred.

  • Exchange driver license, vehicle registration, and insurance information with the other driver or drivers.

  • Do not accept or place any blame. Your insurance company has people trained to determine who is at fault.

  • Gather contact information from possible witnesses.

  • Take a moment to write down details of the crash, such as time of day, traffic conditions, weather conditions, and the events that led up to the collision.

  • Remember, vehicle crashes are not accidents. An alcohol related vehicle crash is just that, a vehicle crash, because the term "accident" implies that these crashes, deaths, and injuries are unavoidable. In fact, alcohol related crashes are predictable and preventable because drinking and driving is the conscious choice of the driver. Never drink and drive or ride with someone who has been drinking. Please be responsible.

Crash Car

​Request a Crash Report


A proper Party of Interest (i.e., Drivers, Bicyclists, Pedestrians, Passengers, Parents of Minors, Legal Guardians, Vehicle or Property Owners, Legal representatives, Manufacturer Representatives, or Insurance Companies with a valid claim or policy number) may request a copy of a CHP crash report/investigation, without having to go to the CHP Area office where the crash report was filed online through the Crash Portal

A proper Party of Interest may also submit a request for a copy of a CHP crash report/investigation in person or via mail to the nearest CHP Area office by completing a CHP 190(PDF).

The following instructions will help you complete the CHP 190:

  • Crash/Incident Date: If you do not know the exact date, provide an approximate date.

  • Crash/Incident Location: If you do not know the exact location, list as much information as possible.

  • Driver or Owner: List the driver or owner of the vehicle. If only your property was damaged, please list your name and address.

  • Party of Interest: PLEASE CHECK ONLY ONE BOX. If you are not sure you are entitled to a copy of the report/investigation, please contact any CHP Area office to verify whether you are a proper Party of Interest.

  •  Applicant: Print your name in this box.​​​​​

  • Number and Street, City, State, and Zip Code

  • Agency/Company: Applies to government entities or insurance companies

  • Signature

  • Submit applicable fees (contact the Area office you will be submitting the form to for the exact amount).


​​Pay Traffic Fines

​Traffic Citation

Traffic Citations can only be handled through the traffic court specified at the bottom of the form. If the violation(s) included a mechanical violation, which has been corrected, it may be brought to our station for verification prior to clearing it with the court. We do not charge for this verification and no appointment is required.

​​Mechanical or Equipment Ticket

A mechanical or equipment ticket points out a fault of discrepancy with your vehicle. The discrepancy must be corrected and verified by a law enforcement officer before being returned to the issuing station. The verified ticket MUST be returned to the issuing station within 30 days. If this is not completed within the 30 days, the matter will be referred to the local court for processing. The issuing station's address is stamped on the back of the ticket.


​​File a Traffic Complaint


Need to report a potentially hazardous traffic condition? Your local CHP can help resolve the issue.

You can report a traffic related issue in one of the following ways:

  • By visiting the office nearest your location in person and detailing your traffic complaint to the watch officer (Find an Office).

  • By calling the office nearest to the problem location via telephone, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Home Page
Back to Top