(390) Dublin

(390) CHP Dublin Area Office


(925) 828-0466


4999 Gleason Drive
Dublin , CA 94568


8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

​The Dublin Area is proud to serve Alameda and Contra Costa Counties by providing safety, service, and security to over 300,000 residents and over 200,000 commuting residents each day. As part of the CHP’s Golden Gate Division, our office patrols 57 miles of freeway on Interstate 580, Interstate 680, and 275 miles of unincorporated roadways throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.

Dublin has been known as the “crossroads” of the Bay Area. Dublin sits at the crossroads of two major freeways, Interstate 580 and Interstate 680 and is 18 miles southeast of Oakland and 33 miles from San Francisco. Interstates 580 and 680 were once important stagecoach routes connecting San Francisco and the Sierra Foothills during the California Gold Rush. I-580 is a major arterial connecting the Bay Area and all points east. Interstate 580 is the third busiest traffic corridor in California!

The Dublin Area offers a number of programs and services aimed at improving traffic safety. We offer public education programs developed for a wide variety of age groups, and directed towards impaired, distracted, and defensive driving. We offer free services, which include child safety seat inspection and education, vehicle identification verification and citation clearance. Through the combined efforts of public education and ongoing enforcement, the Dublin Area is making a positive difference in traffic safety.

Thank you for taking the time to visit our Website. Click Programs & Services above to learn more about the many traffic safety programs the CHP offers.

​The Commander's Message

captain.jpgI welcome you to our web page on behalf of the many men and women who work at the Dublin Area. "I take satisfaction in working with a diverse group of experienced colleagues who work tirelessly to support our objective of protecting the lives and property of Californians and visitors who travel through our freeways and unincorporated roads." I began my career with the California Highway Patrol in 2006 and have worked in various offices in the Central Valley and the Bay Area. Our office offers many safety and educational programs for people of all ages, from car seats to different academic programs for teenagers and senior citizens. We also have a vibrant and highly productive Senior Volunteer Post and an Explorer Post. Numerous California Highway Patrol offices feature Senior Volunteer Posts and Explorer Posts, "I invite you to give back and enhance public services in your community with the California Highway Patrol." The California Highway Patrol has begun a multiyear recruitment effort to fill 1,000 available officer positions.  Please visit www.chpcareers.com or contact us at (925) 828-0466, and we will guide you through the hiring process. 

In closing, my commitment is "to make the Tri-Valley region a safe place to live, work, and travel, and I look forward to building upon our strong relationships with our allied agencies, traffic safety stakeholders, and community groups."
Education: Captain Serrato graduated from California State University, Fresno, with a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice in 2006 and the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey with a Master's in Security Studies in 2022.

Gerardo Serrato, Captain

Instagram - CHP Golden Gate
Facebook - CHP Golden Gate
YouTube - CHP Golden Gate

 Court Information

Pleasanton Superior Court
5672 Stoneridge Drive
Pleasanton CA 94588

Mt. Diablo Superior Court (Contra Costa County Seat)
2970 Willow Pass Road
Concord CA 94520

Walnut Creek Superior Court
640 Ygnacio Valley Road
Walnut Creek CA 94595

Oakland Superior Court (Alameda County Seat)
661 Washington Street
Oakland CA 94607

​Fremont Superior Court
39439 Paseo Padre Parkway
Fremont CA 94538

Hayward Superior Court
24405 Amador Street
Hayward CA 94544



Can I file a traffic collision report online? Can I file a traffic collision report online? <p>​At this time, we are unable to accept reports online. We are diligently working to improve technology, and are exploring options to accept reports in the future.</p><p>You may visit any CHP office anywhere in California to file a traffic collision report, regardless of where the collision occurred.</p>
Can I get a copy of a CHP investigated collision report at any CHP office?Can I get a copy of a CHP investigated collision report at any CHP office?<p>​Yes. Any CHP office will be able to get a copy of a CHP collision report or arrange for one to be mailed to your address.</p><p>For example, if you live in Los Angeles and were involved in a collision in Redding, California, you can go into any CHP office in Southern California and have them obtain a copy of your collision report from the Redding CHP office, or arrange for the collision report to be mailed to your home or business address.</p>
How can I obtain a copy of a CHP collision report?How can I obtain a copy of a CHP collision report?<p>There are two ways to obtain a copy of a CHP investigated collision report.</p><ol><li><p>​If you are a Party of Interest, you can go to any CHP office and pay a nominal fee for a copy of the report. If you prefer to handle this through the mail, you can complete the form CHP 190 (Application for Release of Information), which can be downloaded from this website. Mail the form and a photocopy of your driver license to the CHP jurisdiction that filed the report (click <a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=76bdb9c2-3652-4bd5-b330-1eb3d8127efd&TermSetId=60be2733-c40e-4f75-96cc-b67d4d71e190&TermId=ba6245fa-99af-41be-867f-f9f16cb25740">here </a>for CHP office addresses). <br><br><em> -  or -</em></p></li><li><p>Have your insurance provider obtain a copy of the collision report and give you a copy (this may save you the report fee). </p></li></ol>
How do I apply to become a CHP Officer? How do I apply to become a CHP Officer? <p>​Visit our <a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=76bdb9c2-3652-4bd5-b330-1eb3d8127efd&TermSetId=60be2733-c40e-4f75-96cc-b67d4d71e190&TermId=bf286d8c-307c-4d58-bab3-32afee989d09">"Become a CHP Officer" page </a>for more information and to submit your application online!</p>
How do I become a CHP Public Safety Dispatcher? How do I become a CHP Public Safety Dispatcher? <p>​​Visit our<a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=76bdb9c2-3652-4bd5-b330-1eb3d8127efd&TermSetId=60be2733-c40e-4f75-96cc-b67d4d71e190&TermId=7a6463b6-4bfd-46ab-a9b0-bcef991f11d7"> "Become a Public Safety Dispatcher" page </a>for more information!</p>
How do I contest the findings of a traffic collision report? How do I contest the findings of a traffic collision report? <p>​If you are the involved party in a traffic collision, and disagree with any portion of the report, you may write a "supplemental" statement. In your written statement, please include:</p><ul><li> <strong> The report number</strong></li><li><strong>  Your name</strong></li><li><strong>  The specific item or items with which you disagree</strong></li></ul><p><br>You may bring this statement into any CHP office, or send it via US Mail. You will receive a response by US Mail.</p><p><br>We do not recommend attempting to contact the investigating officer directly by phone, as it eliminates our ability to track your concerns.</p>
How do I get a VIN inspection/verification? How do I get a VIN inspection/verification? <p>​An appointment is required, and certain documents must be brought to the appointment by the vehicle owner. </p><p>Call <a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=76bdb9c2-3652-4bd5-b330-1eb3d8127efd&TermSetId=60be2733-c40e-4f75-96cc-b67d4d71e190&TermId=ba6245fa-99af-41be-867f-f9f16cb25740">your local CHP Area office </a>to obtain further details and schudule an appointment. </p>
How do I get help with a Child Safety Seat?How do I get help with a Child Safety Seat?<p>​You can contact <a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=76bdb9c2-3652-4bd5-b330-1eb3d8127efd&TermSetId=60be2733-c40e-4f75-96cc-b67d4d71e190&TermId=ba6245fa-99af-41be-867f-f9f16cb25740">your nearest CHP Area Office</a>, and schedule an appointment for assistance.  </p>
How do I report a speeding/traffic issue? How do I report a speeding/traffic issue? <p>​You can report a traffic issue in one of two ways:</p><ul><li> By visiting the office nearest your location in person and detailing your traffic complaint to the watch officer.</li><li> By calling the office nearest to the problem location via telephone, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.</li></ul>
How long does my child need to ride in a child passenger restraint system (car seat)? How long does my child need to ride in a child passenger restraint system (car seat)? <p><strong>​All children must ride in an appropriate car seat or booster seat until they reach age 8, or are at least 4 feet, 9 inches in height.</strong><br> Once a child has reached the above threshold, they may ride without a car seat using a standard seatbelt. However, the CHP encourages you use your best judgment when deciding to take the child out of a car seat or booster. If the seatbelt does not fit the child appropriately (i.e.: crossing the child's neck, sitting across the abdomen instead of the hips, etc.), we recommend you keep your child in a booster seat until they are tall enough to ride safety without it.<br> When in doubt, schedule a car seat inspection at any of our CHP offices for free!</p>
How much does the CHP charge for a copy of a collision report?How much does the CHP charge for a copy of a collision report?<p> </p><p>​​The CHP charges only a nominal fee to cover reproduction costs (To determine the cost of your report, please contact the CHP office where the report was filed). The CHP charges the following for collision reports:</p><ul><li>$10.00 — 01 - 25 pages</li><li>$20.00 — 26 - 50 pages</li><li>$30.00 — 51 - 75 pages</li><li>$40.00 — 76 - 100 pages</li><li>$10.00 — Over 100 - for each additional 25 pages or portion thereof </li></ul><p>**There is no extra charge for handling or mailing. Your personal check or money order must be sent with your request and made out to the California Highway Patrol. Please place the report number on your check, if you know it. NO CASH PLEASE if you are requesting the report by mail.  We do not accept Credit or Debit cards at this time. </p><p> </p>
I received a ticket. What do I do now? I received a ticket. What do I do now? <p>​The CHP issues three types of tickets, which can be identified by the form number at the top left of the citation:</p><ul><li> ​<strong>Traffic Citation (CHP 215)</strong><br>Once issued, a traffic citation can only be handled through the court specified at the bottom of the form. If the citation includes a mechanical violation to be corrected, it may be brought to any CHP office, police department, or sheriff's office for certification. CHP does not charge for this certification, and no appointment is required.</li></ul><ul><li> <strong>Mechanical or Equipment Citation (CHP 281)</strong><br>A correctable mechanical or equipment citation points out a fault or discrepancy with your vehicle. The violation must be corrected and verified by any law enforcement officer before being returned to the issuing office. The issuing office address is listed on the back of the citation. Postage is required if sending through US Mail.<br>Violations must be certified as corrected and returned to the issuing office within 30 days. If the violation is not resolved, it will be converted into a traffic citation and will be forwarded to the local court for processing.</li></ul><ul><li><strong>Parking Ticket (CHP 267)</strong><br>Once issued, any correspondence or payment of fines for a CHP-issued parking citation can only be handled through the Parking Citation Center listed at the bottom of the form.</li></ul>
My car was towed. How do I get it released? My car was towed. How do I get it released? <p>​While there are many reasons that a vehicle may be towed by the CHP, all will fall into one of two categories: "<strong>Stored</strong>" or "<strong>Impounded</strong>": </p><p><br><strong>Stored Vehicles </strong></p><p dir="ltr" style="text-align:left;">Vehicles stored by the CHP can be retrieved directly from the tow company by the registered owner or his/her agent. Some examples of "stored" vehicles include:</p><ul dir="ltr" style="text-align:left;"><li>Vehicle involved in a traffic collision, and cannot be driven from the scene.</li><li>Vehicle left parked on a freeway in excess of four hours.</li><li>Vehicle left parked blocking a lane or creating a traffic hazard.</li></ul><p><br><strong>Impounded Vehicles</strong><br>Vehicles impounded by the CHP require a release from the office that caused it to be impounded. Tow companies will not release the vehicle unless they are directed to by the CHP. Common examples of "impounded" vehicles include:</p><ul><li>Vehicles towed because the driver did not have a valid Driver License.</li><li>Vehicles towed as part of an investigation where further examination is necessary.</li><li>Vehicles without valid paid registration.</li></ul><p><br>If you are unsure of why your vehicle was towed or where it was towed to, please contact the office that caused your vehicle to be towed for more information.</p>
Should my child be seated "rear facing" or "front facing"? Should my child be seated "rear facing" or "front facing"? <p><strong>​​Current law requires children to be seated in a "rear facing" child passenger restraint system until age 1. The CHP recommends keeping your child rear-facing for as long as possible up to the upper weight limit of your child's car seat.</strong><br> Rear-facing seats are the safest kind of restraint for young children. The vast majority of collisions are frontal (meaning the front of the car strikes something else). Occupants within the vehicle are traveling at the same speed of the car, and in the collision, the seat belt is the primary method of slowing the body to a stop. A rear-facing car seat allows this stopping force to be distributed all along the child's body, as opposed to at small points where the seat belt would hold the child.<br> When in doubt, please come by any of our CHP offices to schedule a free car seat inspection.</p>
When can I apply to become an Officer with the CHP? When can I apply to become an Officer with the CHP? <p>​Applications are accepted on a continuous basis. The CHP tests three times a year, and each has a "final filing date" for that test. Applications received prior to the final filing date will be scheduled for that test; applications received after will be sent to the next test. <a href="https://recruitment.chp.ca.gov/">Use the Cadet Application System </a>to register.</p>
When is the CHP Office open?When is the CHP Office open?<p>​Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. We are closed on Saturday, Sunday, and<a href="https://www.calhr.ca.gov/employees/Pages/state-holidays.aspx"> all state holidays</a>.</p>


Location Page
Back to Top