(245) Placerville


(530) 748-2450


3031 LoHi Way
Placerville , CA 95667


8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM


El Dorado County is the birthplace of the 1848 gold discovery that spurred the California Gold Rush and “the world rushed in.”  These gold-rush miners, enamored with the beauty and opportunity of the “California Dream,” turned into ranchers, farmers, fruit growers, vintners, business owners, loggers, and more.  The wagon trails turned into modern roads as the age of the automobile evolved.  In 1923, the El Dorado County Board of Supervisors entered into a contract with the Division of Motor Vehicles to employ two traffic officers at a salary of $175 per month.  Six years later, at the inception of the California Highway Patrol (CHP) in 1929, the Placerville Area was founded.  The Placerville Area started with Captain Elwood A. Brewster, and a grand total of three patrol officers, Tom Eisenhuth, Richard Cornelson, and Burwell Reynolds.  The officers were first stationed in the historic Placerville Superior Courthouse at 495 Main St.  During the 1930s, staffing grew, and the CHP found a new home for the Placerville officers.  The CHP obtained its first dedicated office in El Dorado County at 28 Broadway in the town of Placerville.  The Placerville Area served the entirety of El Dorado County until the creation of the South Lake Tahoe Area Office.  In the mid-1960s the Placerville Office was moved to its current facility at 3031 Lo Hi Way.  


​(Photographic caption: Until the CHP was established in 1929, road patrol officers often supplied their own vehicles.  This 1922 Hupmobile CHP Patrol Car was Officer Eisenhuth’s personally owned patrol car since his initial employment as an Officer in 1923.  This Hupmobile, now located at the CHP Museum, was found in a Coloma barn in 1951 and restored by Luis Craig of Sacramento.  Craig purchased the Hupmobile for $25 and an apple pie.  It arrived at the CHP Museum in 2001 when it was presented to Commissioner Helmick.)
Today, the CHP-Placerville Area serves the entire unincorporated western slope of El Dorado County.  This portion of El Dorado County has a climate that ranges from 100+ degree heat in the summer to sub-freezing temperatures in the winter.  The Placerville Area encompasses rolling grasslands to remote snow-covered mountain highways.  This beautiful region brings thousands of tourists and locals daily along US Route 50, California State Route 49, California State Route 193 and unincorporated county roads.  We are proud to serve this growing community.  The officers and staff of the Placerville Area will continue to provide the highest level of safety, service and security to the people of El Dorado County and will strive to seek new and better ways of doing so.

​Court Information:

El Dorado County Superior Court, Department 7
2850 Fairlane Court, Suite 120
Placerville, CA 95667

​Senior Volunteer Program

The Placerville Area prides itself in our senior volunteers.  For more information on the program please visit this website or call 530-748-2450.


Can I get a copy of a CHP investigated crash report at any CHP office?

Yes.  Any CHP office will be able to get a copy of a CHP crash report or arrange for one to be mailed to your address.
For example, if you live in the Bay Area and were involved in a crash in Truckee, you can go into any CHP office in the Bay Area and have them obtain a copy of your crash report from the Truckee CHP office, or arrange for the crash report to be mailed to your home or business address.

How do I get a Citation signed off?

Call 530-748-2450 for availability.  Most correctable citations can be signed off by an officer at any CHP area office without an appointment, Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, excluding State holidays.

How do I get a VIN inspection/verification?

An appointment is required.  You must first contact the DMV, as VIN inspections are by referral from DMV.  Certain documents must be brought to the appointment by the vehicle owner.
Call your local CHP Area office to obtain further details and schedule an appointment.

How do I get help with a Child Safety Seat?

Child Safety Seat inspections are by appointment.  Appointments are generally scheduled on Thursdays and last approximately 30 minutes to an hour per seat.  Call 530-748-2450 to schedule an appointment.   

How much does the CHP charge for a copy of a crash report?

 The CHP charges only a nominal fee to cover reproduction costs (To determine the cost of your report, please contact the CHP office where the report was filed). The CHP charges the following for crash reports:
• $10.00 — 01 - 25 pages
• $20.00 — 26 - 50 pages
• $30.00 — 51 - 75 pages
• $40.00 — 76 - 100 pages
• $10.00 — Over 100 - for each additional 25 pages or portion thereof
**There is no extra charge for handling or mailing. Your personal check or money order must be sent with your request and made out to the California Highway Patrol. Please place the report number on your check, if you know it. NO CASH PLEASE if you are requesting the report by mail.  We do not accept Credit or Debit cards at this time, only cash or check.


Location Page
Back to Top